2023年1月27日 星期五

[空手道] Train on a tour: A diary of romantic martial Okinawa(2023/01/11~2023/01/21)

Translated by TOGKF Taiwan 陳文宏(Chen WenHong)

Some Senseis ask me to translate my trip from Mandarin to English, so I ask my student to do so. Honbu's Sensei, except Yonesato Sensei, can only speak a little English. The actual conversations or talks with Sensei are all in Nippongo, sometimes with a little English. 

The following is my diary in English.
 


It has been three years since my last visit to Okinawa. It’s such a long wait. However, the main dish is my honeymoon vacation, not karate. I have to manage time for my karate practice at honbu dojo. If everything goes well, maybe I can spend five nights at the dojo. At least, three are predictable and exciting for a side menu.

To arrange a honeymoon schedule is exhausting. As a husband, it’s tricky to make the balance between both needs and feelings. One month of preparation for transportation and recommendation is like a butterfly in my stomach. The VJW website drives me crazy especially. Thank god that my wife has her Covid 19 negative certification to meet the deadline. 

Jan 18th Wednesday in Katsuren castle, photo with Sanchin kamae.


Jan 11th Wednesday 

We take an afternoon Peach flight and arrive in Naha late in the evening. It’s over 8 when we finish the hotel check in and dinner. When I get Kuramoto Sensei’s call, I say sorry for having to skip the first night practice but I’ll join the welcome party at a beer house. At the party, we have a warm snack and I introduce my wife to Kuramoto and Yonesato Sensei . 

First nigit's welcome party,left:Yonesato Sensei and right:Kuramoto Sensei

Besides gossip, we talk about the recent IOGKF scandal. It’s surprising for me to know from Kuramoto Sensei that when the rumors about Higaonna Sensei can’t manage himself comes to surge, Sensei is not angry, instead, he laughs and immediately decides what to do next. I am quite in a rage myself that I must give my thumbs up to Sensei’s calmness and tolerance. 

Jan 12th Thursday 

It’s my first practice night at Higaonna dojo during the vacation. As I know from the party last night, there is little new blood in youth, local or overseas, but class for the elders grows due to the pandemic.
 
As Kuramoto Sensei suggests, I arrive in the early evening and do some suriashi as warmups under Uehara Sensei’s instruction. Meanwhile Higaonna Sensei comes downstairs to see me and gives me a blessing envelope, a TOGKF badge, and a Karate history book he writes as my wedding gift. I feel sour in my nose, and too touched to talk. It’s hard to repay the favor. And then, Sensei begins to watch every student’s kata. It’s due to Martin Sensei’s request, who comes from the US and will spend 6 weeks at honbu dojo.
The gift from Higaonna Sensei: a blessing envelope, a TOGKF badge. 

The gift from Higaonna Sensei: his book.

Higaonna Sensei signs to me in last page of the book.

Frankly speaking, I am so nervous to show my kata in front of Sensei that my movement is kind of stiff since I haven’t seen Sensei in person for a long time. However, to my relief, he can tell I don’t quit my training in Taiwan and looks highly upon my performance. 

Around 8 pm, after the class for the elders, here comes Kuramoto and Yonesato Sensei. The former asks me to do some warmup well before checking my kata. After doing Gekisai Daichi and Daini each for three rounds, my condition gets better and I overcome the tense body. However, Saifa is another story. Kuramoto Sensei deems some movements are not subtle enough and improvable. Therefore, it’s no surprise that the night is doomed for Saifa. 

According to my close observation on Higaonna Sensei that night, it’s clear his memory might get worse due to his age, but his activity and mind remain the person I know back to the days since 2015. He is strong and determined. Those who crack a rumor that Sensei can’t come to his senses and who believe staying in IOGKF is trying to save traditional karate are ironically insane. They shall be shamed since they mistake or mislook the Chinese handwriting hung on the wall “報恩鬪志.”


Jan 14th Friday

It’s the second night for training, but more Senpai and Kouhai show up at the dojo. I am not quite sure if it’s due to my return. Together we begin with warmups and tool drills and then Kuramoto Sensei checks our kata.

Following five rounds of Gekisai Daiichi and Daini, it is the kata Seiyunchin all night long. Luckily there are fewer points that need to be adjusted than Saifa. Higaonna Sensei comes down to greet us at 9:30. He speaks about the old days and TOGKF. Somehow strange but to his excitement, Sensei learned many non-goju ryu dojos, such as Shotokan and Kyokushin are ready to join TOGKF. And the new members at the moment are likely twenty thousand and in increase. Sensei is proud, and his face is set in an expression of stubborn determination, saying with “listen to me and just follow up.” Everyone around him is touched by his words.

Tonight's photo, left to right are Yamanoha San, Yonesato Sensei, me, Higaonna Sensei, Chinen Sensei, Kuramoto Sensei, Martin Sensei, and Une San

At 10 pm, we hurry to the restaurant to celebrate my wedding. Because there is an official event the next day and Kuramoto and Yonesato Sensei have to support the county government with JICA, they will not be dojo at night. I am not sure if there’s any chance to practice, so I please Kuramoto Sensei to check my kata Seipai and Kururunfa at his convenience next week. It's on the top of my list.

My wedding party held by honbu's members, but my wife doesn't come due to a little sick tonight.

Jan 18th Wednesday 

After 3 days of travel to north Okinawa, my wife and I returned to Naha. To my surprise, I get ready for the night, only to find there’s nobody at the dojo. I get contact with Martin Sensei to know the fact that Kuramoro and Yonesato Sensei are still in JICA's event, teaching Brazilians and they won’t show up tomorrow night either. However, Uehara Sensei will give a lesson tomorrow night. It’s open from 4:30 pm and goes on to 9 pm. I suppose this might be the last chance to practice, so we commit to get there as early as possible.

It is in this case that I happen to know January 20th is Uehara Sensei’s birthday. He is a man quiet and shy, and Martin Sensei comes to know the fact by chance. He decides to bring Sensei some fruits as a gift, and I plan to hold a birthday gathering for him.


Jan 19th Thursday 

To keep the deal with Martin Sensei, I rearrange my diet and finish my dinner at 4 pm and when I arrive at the dojo, he is already there. He says it’s a pity I am 5 minutes late because Kuramoto and Yonesato Sensei has just finished his work with Brazilians and left.

Not for long after Martin Sensei and I get ready and discuss something on karate, Uehara Sensei comes in. We make an appointment for the birthday party. And after I ask for some advices on karate from Uehara Sensei, he contacts Kuramoto and Yonesato Sensei to make sure I will have my kata rechecked before I leave Okinawa.

Classes for the elders, though divided into two shifts, basically include everything for first Dan except for hojo undo. Iramira Senpai leads the learners junbi undo, then Uehara Sensei teaches through kihon, kata(Gekisai to Shisochin), kote kitae, kumite and kakie. 

I can’t help to say it again that Uehara Sensei has an extremely strong foreleg. Though I don’t mean to train my forelegs, I do spend much time kicking sandbags during my first year long stay. However, kicking sandbags is nothing compared with Sensei’s forelegs. No kidding, I can hardly bear one sweep.

After 9 pm, it’s time for personal training. Uehara Sensei by chance shows us his Okinawa Kobudo skills when I get to know it’s from the master Taira Shinken that Higaonna Sensei learns Okinawa Kobudo. Uehara Sensei himself gets his kobudo fourth Dan from Okinawa Kobudo Shinbukan. When he knows I have learned some Kihons about “Sai” from Higaonna Sensei, and use it as hojo undo tools. He encourages me to go on studying Okinawa Kobudo in my free time.

Big Tonfa and heavier Sai in honbu dojo.
Except demonstrating these two weapons, Uehara Sensei also shows some moves using Bo.

As for the question why Higaonna Sensei doesn’t give Okinawa Kobudo lessons, Uehara Sensei explains there are too many katas to remember, and Higaonna Sensei forgets most of the kata. I think that’s true. As I study, speaking “Bo” alone, there are 10 more katas in Shinbukan style. And most of the katas take more than two minutes to display. It’s really a brainstorm for a beginner. A pity as it is, I can truly understand Sensei’s decision not to teach.

It’s a night full of harvest, and when people realize it’s time to finish the class, it’s almost 10:40. 

The rest people doing self-training after this 9 PM,  left to right:me, Chinen Sensei and Shinya Sensei.

Jan 20th Friday

We, my wife and I, go to the dojo at 5 pm to meet Uehara Sensei and Martin Sensei as planned. Together we take taxi to the Omoromachi to celebrate Sensei’s 75 year old birthday. We talk a lot. Sensei shares his experience on martial arts. He thanks all the people ever teach and help him, including his older brother(Uehara Kou) and other masters(Higaonna Morio, Miyagi Anichi, Aragaki Shuichi, Taira Shinken, Akamine Eisuke). Owing to practicing karate, he lives longer and enjoys the days, he claims.

Right:Uehara Sensei、Martin Sensei

As to the case with IOGKF, he reveals if Aragaki Sensei were still alive, he would be very disappointed in Nakamura. After the party, we accompany Sensei to Mainplace, where he says he wants to buy some necessities and bids goodbye to us. My wife and I return to Naha to take some rest. I have to get ready for my last day of training.

When I get to the dojo at 7:45, Kuramoto Sensei is still instructing teenagers. I wait until the class is over and when I step in, I find Yonesato Sensei and a new face Bryan Sensei are already there. And then Martin Snesie and Navindra Nethmina join us. Higaonna Sensei hears the bustle, drops by to say hello, but soon goes upstairs.

Kuramoto Sensei says it’s freestyle tonight, and he will teach me alone. When others turn to Yonesato Sensei for advice, I quickly finish my warmups and then practice Seipai and Kururunfa under Sensei’s supervision. It’s not until 9:40 pm that my movements are adjusted again and again. I don’t quit my study even during the short break before the finish manners at 10 pm. I want to keep it in mind and remember everything with my body. It’s another rewarding night, and I bid farewell person by person before l leave for Taiwan.

Last night with Martin Sensei

Conclusion 

As a third dan learner, it’s nonsense if I don’t know the meaning or purpose of kata. However, I need to go back to honbu dojo from time to time. Because it’s important to make sure everything goes the way I want it, which is hard to know on my own. If a person is stubborn on the wrong, he is wrong forever. It’s no news and happens everywhere. That’s why I must thank Senseis for their help, and already expect gasshuku in August.

Besides, I need to appreciate my wife for her understanding. It must be love to drive one love the other’s love. It’s an old saying but seldom can make it.

沒有留言:

張貼留言